Friday, March 15, 2013

Where's Taty's Boots?

Hola! I'm Tatyana Marie Colbert, also known as Taty! This was my first time volunteering with Esperanza. This trip was full of firsts for me. This was the first time traveling by plane, and the first time leaving America. I was more than excited to go on this trip. Mexico is such a beautiful country and the culture is amazing. All of the people I have met were amazing! I love the music and I learned so sweet dance moves! The food here is phenomenal and I could eat tortas alllllll day long.

I learned so much about issues reguarding the border. Before coming to Tijuana, I didn't hear anything negative about this place. Everyone was telling me to be safe and asking me why I would want to come here. Honestly, I never once felt scared to come to Tijuana and I feel more safe here than I do at home. I would love to come back and volunteer again.

I also really enjoyed the building the houses. It's really neat to see a bunch of people working together to finish a project. The families were more than welcoming and it felt good to interact with them. I took six years worth of Spanish classes and my Spanish is still up to par. I can understand a few words here and there but speaking Spanish is a nightmare! Although there was a major language barrier, communication was still possible. As in the words of Rachel De Luca, "Laughter is the same in every language." And it's so true, laughter and smiling and simply saying gracias instead of thank you goes a long way!

It's Friday and we are all packed and ready to travel back home. It's bittersweet. I don't want to leave. This was such and amazing experience and I am so thrilled that I was a part of something that will change lives forever! We'll see you soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment